state of florida, escambia county supervisor of elections official seal
An official government website Here's how you know
Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.
Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
lock (lock icon ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.
Robert D. Bender
Escambia County
Supervisor of Elections


Can anyone register to vote?

If you are a legal resident of Escambia County, Florida and fulfill all the following conditions, you are eligible to register to vote in Escambia County. You must:

* Be a citizen of the United States, and
* Be 18 years of age (you may preregister once you turn 16) and
* Not have been convicted of a felony without having your voting rights restored, and
* Not have been adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting without having your civil rights restored.

Where can I go to register to vote?

Registering to vote in Florida is quick and easy. You can register online if you have a Florida Driver’s License or Florida Identification Card. For complete information, visit our Register to Vote page.

There are many locations throughout the county where you can obtain a Florida Voter Registration Application, including the Escambia County Supervisor of Elections office located at 213 Palafox Place, 2nd Floor. Regardless of where applications are picked up or turned in, a registration application is not valid until processed as complete by the Supervisor of Elections office. 

To obtain a paper Florida Voter Registration Application:

* Download a Florida Voter Registration Application form English PDF / Spanish PDF on this website or call (850) 595-3900 to have one mailed to you
* Pick one up at the office of the Escambia County Supervisor of Elections, 213 Palafox Place, 2nd Floor
* Pick one up at an alternate location

Can I pick up a form and just mail it in?

Yes. After you complete the form, simply sign it and mail it back to the Elections Office.

However, if you register by mail and have never voted in Florida and have NOT been issued a Florida driver’s license, a Florida identification card, or a Social Security number, then you will be required to provide additional identification. 

To assure that you will not have problems when you go to vote, you should provide a copy of the required identification at the time you mail your voter registration form. If you are voting an absentee ballot, you must provide the proper identification prior to 7 p.m. Election Day or your absentee ballot will not count. The following forms of identification are acceptable if they contain your name and photograph: 
* United States passport 
* Debit or credit card 
* Military identification 
* Student identification 
* Retirement center identification 
* Neighborhood association identification 
* Public assistance identification 

Instead of the photo ID, you may provide a copy of a current and valid utility bill, bank statement, government paycheck, or other government document containing your name and current residence address. Do not send original identification documents. 

Certain persons are exempt from this additional ID requirement: persons 65 years of age or older; those with a temporary or permanent disability; military members on active duty and their dependents; merchant marine members and their dependents; and civilians residing overseas who are eligible to vote in Florida.

Do I have to re-register (a) if I haven’t voted in a long time, or (b) every time I move?

(a) NO, we have a permanent voter registration system. However, by law a voter must:

* Inform the Elections Office of any change of address within the county or state.
* Respond to a request for Address Confirmation within 30 days of it being sent in order to keep your record current as an active voter.

Note: It is suggested that a voter make some form of contact at least every two years to ensure active status. 

(b) Only if you move out of state. If you move within Florida, you must notify the Supervisor of Elections of your new address.

Do I have to choose a political party?

No, it is not required. If you do not choose a party, you will be registered as “No Party Affiliation.” Voters registered as No Party Affiliation or in a minor party may not vote for major party (Democrat and Republican) candidates in a primary, but may vote in nonpartisan contests in the primary.

Does being “No Party Affiliation” or minor party mean I can vote for anyone in a primary?

No, Florida is a closed primary state. You must be registered as a member of the party whose primary you wish to vote in. However, all voters may vote in a primary in nonpartisan contests, such as school board members, municipal contests, judges, and referenda. The only other exception is a Universal Primary Contest.

What is a Universal Primary Contest?

If in any partisan contest, only candidates of one major party have qualified, and there are no minor party, independent, or write-in candidates for the general election, that race will be on the primary ballot for ALL registered voters of the jurisdiction, regardless of party registration.

How do I change my political party?

A party change must be submitted to the Supervisor of Elections using a Florida Voter Registration Application or by using the Online Voter Registration System.

Party changes will not be processed after the registration books have closed 29 days prior to any primary election.

My name has changed (marriage, divorce, other legal act). How do I change my name on your records?

A name change must be submitted using the Online Voter Registration System or to the Supervisor of Elections on a signed Florida Voter Registration Application. Be sure to sign your new name on the application. If your address has also changed, you can make the address change at the same time.

How do I change my address?

Address changes within Florida can be made by just about any contact with the Elections Office — by e-mail, fax, telephone, or on a signed, written notice or Florida Voter Registration Application. You can also update your address using Florida's Online Voter Registration System. While addresses changes can be made at the polling place, it is highly recommended that you update your address prior to Election Day.

Do I need to update my signature?

Your signature is used to verify your identity on vote-by-mail ballots, provisional ballots, petitions, and certain updates to your voter record. A signature mismatch can cause your vote-by-mail ballot, provisional ballot, or petition to be rejected. If your signature has changed since you registered to vote or last updated your record, you can update it at any time using a Florida Voter Registration Application and submitting it to our office. You can access an application online at or at our office or any voter registration agency, or we can mail one to you. Your signature update must be received before your ballot or petition is received, or before your provisional ballot is cast.

What identification do I need to vote?

You must present both a photo and signature ID when you go to vote. If the picture identification does not contain a signature, you will be asked to provide an additional identification with your signature.

Approved forms of photo ID are:
* Florida driver’s license
* Florida ID card
* United States passport
* Debit or credit card
* Military identification
* Student identification
* Retirement center identification
* Neighborhood association identification
* Public assistance identification
* Concealed Weapon License
* Veterans Administration Card
* Government Employee ID: Federal, State, County or City

If my Voter Information Card is lost or stolen, how do I get a replacement?

A request for a duplicate card must be made to your Supervisor of Elections in writing or through the Online Voter Registration System.

I’ve moved since the last time I voted, and I forgot to change my address. Do I go to my old precinct to vote?

Call the Supervisor of Elections office or check the precinct finder on our website to find the location of your new precinct’s polling place before you go to vote.

You may change your address at the polling place by completing an address change form. If your registration is verified, you may vote at your new precinct. If your eligibility cannot be determined, your are entitled to vote a provisional ballot at your new precinct. It is a felony to vote in a precinct in that is not your legal residence.

If I am unable to go to the polls on Election Day, how can I vote?

You may request a vote-by-mail ballot online, by telephone, mail, e-mail, fax, or in person, to be sent to you or picked up by you. See our vote-by-mail page on our website for complete information.

Or, you may vote early in our office and other locations beginning no later than the 10th day prior to most elections.

Can someone pick up or return a vote-by-mail ballot for me?

You may designate an immediate family member or legal guardian to pick up a ballot for you. Your designee must provide your written authorization and complete an affidavit. Your designee must also provide photo identification. Ballots may not be provided for pickup to the voter or an authorized designee during early voting or on Election Day without completing a affidavit stating you cannot go to an early voting site or your Election Day polling place. However, a person designated may not pick-up or otherwise possess more than two vote-by-mail ballots per election, other than their own ballot and the ballots of their immediate family.

Pursuant to section 104.0616, “Any person who distributes, orders, requests, collects, delivers, or otherwise physically possesses more than two vote-by-mail ballots per election in addition to his or her own ballot or a ballot belonging to an immediate family member, except as provided in ss. 101.6105-101.694, including supervised voting at assisted living facilities and nursing home facilities as authorized under s. 101.655, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree...”

When does my vote-by-mail ballot have to be returned to your office?

The ballot must be received in our office by 7 p.m. CST on Election Day in order to be counted. However, there is an exception for overseas voters in a presidential primary election or general election: your ballot must be dated by the date of the election and we must receive it within 10 days after the election for it to be counted.

How do voters names get removed from the Florida Voter Registration System (FVRS)?

A voter will be removed from the list of registered voters under the following circumstances:

* The voter requests in writing to have their name removed / cancel their registration.
* We are notified and we confirm that the voter has been adjudicated mentally incapacitated or convicted of a felony FAQ: Civil Rights.
* We are notified that the voter has registered to vote in another state.
* Through the list maintenance process set forth in Florida Statutes.

What is the list maintenance process and how does it work?

  • We receive notification from the U.S. Postal Service that a voter’s address is no longer accurate.

    • This notification may be via returned mail or electronically via the National Change of Address list (NCOA).
    • This notification will indicate that there is either a new address or that the Post Office does not have record of a new address.
  • If there is a new Florida address, the address is updated and an Address Change Notice (ACN) is sent to the voter at the new address.

    • If the new address, as noted on the ACN is correct, the voter doesn’t need to respond.
    • If the new address, as noted on the ACN is not correct, the voter should note the correction(s) and return the postage paid form to our office.
  • If there is a new address, but it is not a Florida address, or if there is no forwarding address, an Address Confirmation Final Notice (ACFN) is sent to the voter at the new address.
    • The voter must respond to the ACFN within thirty (30) days by returning the postage paid form to our office.
    • The voter should indicate one of the following on the returned postage paid form:

      • They may indicate that their legal residence has not changed within Florida.
      • They may indicate that their legal residence has changed within Florida and include the needed correction(s).
      • They may indicate that their legal residence has changed to a location outside of Florida, indicating that their Florida voter registration should be cancelled.
      • The returned postage paid form must be signed by the voter.
    • If the voter does not return the postage paid ACFN form within thirty (30) days, their voter record will be changed to an inactive status.

      • A voter whose record has an inactive status can still vote.
      • A voter whose record has an inactive status can be re-instated by updating their voter registration, appearing to vote, or requesting an absentee ballot.
    • A voter whose record remains in an inactive status for two general (federal) elections from the date the final notice was sent will be removed from the registration records and must register again in order to vote.
  • If a voter has not voted or updated their address during the last two general election cycles, they will be sent an Address Confirmation Final Notice. It must be returned to the Supervisor of Elections within 30 days or the voter will be placed on the inactive voter list.

Why did I receive an address confirmation/change post card in the mail?

If you received an Address Change Notice, Address Confirmation Final Notice or Address Confirmation Request from us, it means that:

1. We were notified by the Post Office or another source that you had made an address change; 
2. We sent you something by mail and it was returned to us, undelivered, by the U.S. Postal Service;
3. You have not voted and we have had no contact from you for two election cycles.

If you received an Address Change Notice, you only need to respond if the information on the card is not correct. If, after you review the information, a change needs to be made you may do by noting the change on the notice and returning it to our office. You can also use the Online Voter Registration System to make most changes.

If you received an Address Confirmation Final Notice, a response is required. If, after you review the information on the card, a change is needed, you must note any changes and return the form to our office within 30 days or you will be placed on the inactive voter list.

If you received an Address Confirmation Request, a response is only required if a change needs to be made. If you wish to make a change, you may do by noting the change on the form and returning it to our office. You can also use the Online Voter Registration System to make most changes.

If you received one of the above notices and would prefer to respond by phone, you may do so by calling 850-595-3900.

If I’m not currently registered, what is the registration deadline for an election?

The registration deadline is 29 days prior to an election.

Do the courts get prospective jurors’ names from voter registration rolls?

No. The state courts obtain their prospective jurors’ names from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.

I’ve never voted before. Will someone show me what to do?

Yes. If requested, a poll worker will offer you a demonstration on how to mark your ballot when you arrive at the polling place.

If I need assistance in voting in some way, can someone help me vote?

Yes. If you need assistance due to a disability or inability to read or write English, you are entitled to assistance in voting. You may bring someone with you to assist you, or two of our poll workers from different political parties will assist you as needed.

What happens if I make a mistake on my ballot?

Tell the poll workers you have made a mistake, and you will be issued a new ballot (up to three maximum) in exchange for your “spoiled” ballot(s). You can also receive a replacement mail ballot if you make a mistake.

What happens if I forget to bring my ID with me to the polls?

You are required to vote by provisional ballot if you fail to present proper ID at the polls. If the provisional ballot signature matches the signature on your voter registration record, your provisional ballot will count if you are otherwise eligible to vote.

What hours are the polls open?

The polls are open 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Election Day. If you are in line by 7 p.m., you will be allowed to vote. Early voting hours vary in each election.

Can I just turn my vote-by-mail ballot in at my polling place?

No, not on Election Day. Your completed vote-by-mail ballot must be turned in at our office on Palafox Place or to an early voting location during early voting hours.

Can I bring my children with me to the polling place?

Yes, you may bring your children with you. Bringing your children with you helps to educate them on the importance of voting.

How do I become a poll worker?

Click here for information on becoming a poll worker.

Can I change my political party at the polls?

It depends. In primary elections, party changes must be done prior to the 29 day book-closing date in order to be in effect for that election. However, you may change your party up to and including Election Day in general elections.

Can I bring my marked sample ballot to the polls?

Yes, as long as you do not display it for others to see and do not leave it in the polling place. We encourage use of the sample ballot.

Can I still vote if I’ve been convicted of a felony?

See the Civil Rights Frequently Asked Questions section.

How do I find out if my civil rights have been restored?

See the Civil Rights Frequently Asked Questions section.

How do I know what congressional, legislative and local districts I’m in?

Escambia County is included in the 1st Congressional district. In the Florida Legislature, we are represented by the 1st Senate district and the 1st and 2nd House districts. The districts in which you are eligible to vote are indicated on your voter information card, or you may use the Precinct Finder or click here for more information.

MAR 2024


Upcoming Elections

Current Voter Registration Stats

Voter Registration in Escambia County
Affiliation Voters